Mount Carmel, Israel: Experiencing, Learning, Collaborating

The University of Haifa (UH) experience was very productive and splendid. As my most recent blog entry indicated, Strengthening CHHS’ Global Footprint , I traveled last week to initiate discussions with several UH officials to establish a new Global Health summer program as a study abroad option for Masters (and Honors) and an international teaching option for faculty within CHHS.  What a wonderful experience it was for me to not only visit with the UH as we worked to establish a new study abroad program, but to also learn of the rich history within the towns of Mount Carmel.

The city of Haifa, where the UH is located, is Israel’s third largest city. Haifa is located on the northern slope of Mount Carmel, which is a coastal mountain range in northern Israel that stretches from the Mediterranean Sea towards the southeast. I had the opportunity to travel through much terrain from the Baha’i Gardens to the Mediterranean Sea, to Caesarea Palace, and the Sea of Galilee. The views were breathtaking, the history was fascinating and the people were engaging.

Overlooking the Mediterranean Sea on top of Mt. Carmel.

Sitting beside the administrators of UH, felt like I was sitting among my colleagues at WKU. We shared a vision and a passion for the empowerment of educating our students with limited cultural boundaries. I met with the International School managing director, the head of the Study Abroad Department, the co-director of the International Mater’s Program in Global Health, who also oversees the Global Health Graduate Summer program, director of the School of Public Health, as well as the vice provost and former director of the School of Public Health. Developing the structure and curriculum of the new Global Health summer program, allowed us to envision cross-cultural teaching in an experience-based learning atmosphere. My hope for this program that we are designing, is that our students will be exposed to cultural disparities that will encourage student-led research collaborations.

During my visit, I also explored future one for one student exchange options, began mapping UH curriculum to academic programs in public health and explored the student services, which actually offered great food and a wonderful bookstore! I talked with two students in the cafeteria from Georgia who were there studying. They were truly enjoying their experience at the UH. The classes were rigorous, yet reasonable and the opportunities on the weekend to explore the sights and sounds of Israel (many of which I was able to post on twitter @NEALECHUMBER last week) is extraordinary according to the students. Please visit my Twitter page to see more pictures from the Haifa and the UH, as I am sure you will find that the city and university are gorgeous.

The University of Haifa at Mount Carmel, Israel.

As educators, we have the greatest opportunity to be the vessels through which our students develop both personally and professionally. Providing resources, tools, experienced-based learning opportunities, such as this Global Health Summer program at the UH, enables our students to be geared for the competitive marketplace upon graduation. As A Leading American University with International Reach, WKU is actively positioning itself to prioritize the globalization of education.

I am excited for our new international partnership with the UH and anticipate the inaugural program in Summer 2017 will be a great success for both the UH and WKU. I was asked to come back to the UH in November to solidify these productive conversations even further. Overall, this experience was great and very successful, and I anticipate future and positive opportunities for CHHS.

Had to take advantage of the opportunity to display my red towel and WKU spirit while in Israel!

Until next time!

neale

Follow me on Twitter @NEALECHUMBLER
Follow me on Twitter @NEALECHUMBLER